Saturday, February 19, 2011

"THE STAND"

During my short lifetime i've read tons of awesome and rather heroic stories written in tribute to great heroes of the faith....the Bible is full of countless examples of those brave men and women who had the privilege of standing for Jesus.  I admit though, that for me, these great and lofty examples seem very unrelatable to me as i face everyday life....i just don't feel strong enough to stand before a giant on most days, and i def don't feel qualified to "stand" as the Apostle Paul did (or @ times, maybe i am much to scared to take such a stand).  And if i even had the time to count the cost or consider how unpopular I would become as a result of standing for Jesus....i wonder how bold i would be if given that chance to either stand for Jesus or blend in.

I've tried to explain my struggle with this concept of standing, and why its tough for me.....now i want to tell you a story.   So, I have a very close friend of mine who had asked me to be praying about her sister.......and that she would come to know Jesus as Savior.  Last night oppurtunity knocked.  Suddenly the sister i had been praying for turns to me, and says "jessica, what do you think about Hell and Heaven?" (while holding up a book about Revelation that I had kept in my book collection)  I answered her, praying for the Holy Spirit to speak through me so i would explain clearly what the Bible said about the reality of both places. 

It was her next question that rendered me timid and speechless.  She struggled aloud with the fact that so many of her friends who had called themselves Christians, didn't live or act like Jesus at all.....while I tried to keep the focus on who Jesus is, and what having a relationship with Him meant.  I explained what the Bible said, then showed her the verses...gave her my Bible in the New Living Translation.

While she may find the ambition, or get bored enough to open that Bible that i gave to her....what will matter most is what she sees in those who claim to be Christians.  If we can't mirror His image in our lives and consider Him in the choices we make, then how will she see what He looks like and desire Him for herself?  I will choose to reflect who He is, and that is "the stand" for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment